Thursday, December 27, 2012

New Year’s Resolution: Trust God




 
Prior to 1582, the New Year began in March. When Pope Gregory XIII developed the Gregorian calendar, New Year’s Eve became a religious feast and a chance to celebrate the old and the new, the close of a year, and the beginning of a new one. It is around now that I like to take some time and think about all that has happened in the past year. What were some of the highlights, the more significant events that occurred? What were some of the harder moments? What joyous times did I celebrate? Who are some people I met? I remember the lives of significant people I lost. What have I learned? What blessings have I experienced? It is good to reflect on life, where we have been, what we’ve done, and to give thanks to God for all things.

However, the event of New Year’s Eve is not just a time to honor the past; it is an opportunity to look toward s the future, the coming year, and all it holds. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.” There is a saying, “I don’t know what the future holds but I know who holds the future.” What a blessing it is to know that Christ is present guiding us and wanting the best for us! If only we would trust in God more fully, for God offers us great assurance in life, especially when we encounter the unknown and another year with all its ups and downs that we will face.

As you make your New Year’s resolutions, set your goals, as I do, and work at keeping them, I encourage you to add the simple phrase, “Trust God.” I pray that you would come to rest in God’s promises, to live joyfully, and to trust God, for through Jesus Christ, God gives you a future with hope. For this we can be grateful and celebrate each and every day.

Happy New Year!
Pastor Percy

No comments:

Post a Comment