Monday, March 12, 2012

Marks of Discipleship: Making the Pieces Fit


“I came that you may have life and have it abundantly.”  John 10:10

Sitting on the shelf in our home office are sixteen volumes of my life. For the past sixteen years I have written one page per day of the activities, people, events, and reflections that have made up my life. I wake up in the morning; enjoy an early morning walk on one of three routes around the neighborhood with my wife Sandi, then return to reflect on the previous day by writing for ten minutes. I can tell you exactly what I did, where I was, and the memorable events in my daily life for these years.

In my spiritual life I also have routines. My earliest recollections from childhood are practices of faith that my parents imprinted on my life. We went to church every Sunday. Dad didn’t allow any farm work on that day except to care for the dairy cows and other livestock. Every meal began with prayer, morning devotions were part of breakfast, and every night we went to sleep with a bedtime prayer. My parents gave generously from their meager income. They were always helping a neighbor with whatever they needed, and strong relationships were just part of this farm community. Everything I needed to know, I learned from these experiences.

These faith practices have never changed. How can we put faith practices into our daily lives that will make an impact not only on our lives but the lives of others? Jesus provides a guide. He says, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.” When Jesus said, “Follow me,” he meant it. The practices of Jesus have been recognized for centuries as the core activities of the spiritual life. Lord of Life calls them Marks of Discipleship: pray daily; worship weekly; read the Bible; serve at and beyond Lord of Life; build caring relationships; and give of my time, talent, treasure. 

We have been created with an inner hunger, with a need for God. To be human is to be spiritual. To be a man or woman is to have eternal longings. When we neglect this part of ourselves, we have little or no spiritual resources that we can call on to meet that deep need, to satisfy our spiritual hunger.

We live busy lives. In the hectic routines of our daily life each of you will be encouraged to find the time to make the important pieces of faith fit. When you do, you will find that life will take on deeper meaning. Let’s journey deeper into faith together.
 
Go with God,
Pastor Qualley




No comments:

Post a Comment